We were Kids Back Then...

I don't know how old was then
When a tricycle was first bought.
How often did I fall to bruise my knees
And yet how much fun I sought.

When pensive was not my gaze or heart
And there was will in them all
When felicity, like blood it lived
In my hearty hall.

When the winds were always fresh
For a game of ball
On the road by the house on a chalked line
We, the knights stood tall.

What I don't remember is that
When this happened and that,
And in vague memories of past
I spoke, I ate and I sang.

That was a time very few remember
T'was the age of clubs and cults
And there was no one who was mad at you
But being mad was only for fun.

Through pensive eyes I dreamt this song
And as pensive as it may be,
The dreams no longer haunt my side,
My eyes no longer shine like the sea.

Why I remember it you ask?
When I cannot remember a key-
Only with oblivion shall this past not last
This is an eternal source of glee.

And I know in all our hearts it lives
Not in just the pen of men,
For everyone has a tale familiar
We were kids back then.

children, garden, green

Comments