In another Season

What about the rose I gave you today?

What about the one yesterday?

I know we haven't spoken,

I know that we haven't sung in long,

But not because we're broken

but that time we had none.


Can death bring us so far apart,

that neither in life or dreams we speak,

can some tear shatter the bonds so deep

that they sink in the soil, never to reap?


Do these chills not reach those plains

where you live now?

These tremors and tears that we have shed

not cause that unearthly world to bow?


As a kid, I often wondered about the leaves

On the winter dawn

They go back to the earth now dry

To await a summer morn.


No one knows of the secret sherbet

that was made from the frozen drinks

5 rupees was all it cost to make

The sweetest sweet from a stupid ice cream.


In some other season perhaps,

sitting by the veranda we'll wait

once again for the local ice cream man

and for the sun to rise on our gate.

Comments